Once a boy from Maine making cut-up sound collages with a dual cassette deck, I’m now a freelance sound designer and audio editor, with an improbably broad and cross-pollinated professional creative and artistic background.
This confluence of experience makes me a unique and conceptually-driven collaborator, allowing me to communicate with any other creative or technical discipline, in their language, with deep empathy for their process. In fact, my own production process is born from a superset of all the professional experiences I’ve had, from agile software engineering to iterative design to the building of brands.
As a sound designer, my sounds have been used in interactive installations, audio branding, prototypes for consumer electronics products, interactive installations, corporate videos, software applications, podcasts, documentaries, and video games. My own sound effects libraries have been used in games, horror movies, and a Oscar®-nominated documentary. I have run the influential Noise Jockey blog on field recording and sound design since 2008.
As an audio editor, I’ve done dialogue and music editing for dozens of corporate videos, podcasts, documentaries, interactive experiences, event projections, and television pilots.
Under my umbrella company, Studio Obsidian, I am also a composer/musician (ASCAP), a mastering engineer, and a private-press record label owner. My music is represented by Robot Repair for sync licensing.
Before all of that, I have a varied background as an illustrator, animator, video editor, creative director, and award-winning interface and user experience designer.
So, let’s tell some stories. Create some experiences. Make people feel. Reach out, and let’s make some noise together.
- Supervising sound editor, Clay (short film, in production, 2020)
- Audio editor and mixer, Two Guys From Hollywood podcast (podcast, iHeartRadio, 2021)
- Audio editor and mixer, IMDb’s That Scene with Dan Patrick (podcast, Amazon Music, 2020-2021)
- Audio producer, editor, and mixer, Karamo: The Podcast (podcast, Luminary, 2020-2021)
- Sound designer, The Adoraboos (game, MyDream Interactive, 2020)
- Contributing sound recordist, The Cave (NatGeo Films, 2019)
- Sound designer, medical training “serious game” (in production, 2019)
- Sound designer and mixer, Camila and the Shadow of Dengue (award-winning corporate film, 2019)
- Dialogue editor, Making It Up (TV Pilot, Crux Jinx Productions, 2019)
- Dialogue editor, Inside Trader Joe’s (podcast, 2018-2021)
Interviews and Appearances
- Beyond the Patch, interview with the Colorado Modular Synth Society (Background, influences, techniques)
- Composer profile for Question Games (creators of The Blackout Club)
- Podular Modcast interview with Nathan Moody (music, recording, mixing, and mastering)
- Art + Music + Technology interview with Nathan Moody, by Darwin Grosse (music, creative process, and art)
- Interview with Nathan Moody, Hypnos Audio (creative process)
- Twenty Questions with Nathan Moody, The Music of Sound (background and creative process)
- A Month of Field Recordists: Nathan Moody, CreativeFieldRecording.com (found sound recording)
- Getting Into Sound Design panel, AES 2012 San Francisco
- Outstanding Sound Blogs: Meet Nathan Moody, A Sound Effect (field recording and sound design)